Saturday, March 7, 2009

How to not look like a stereotypical American in Europe


How to not look like a stereotypical American in Europe?
Hi there! I am a 16 year old (slightly quiet) female American who is going to Europe next summer (probably). The last thing I want is for people to view me as a stupid American (you know the whole stereotype!). Anyway, I was nominated/auditioned into a music (band and choir) tour of England, France, Liechtenstein, Austria, Switzerland, Italy and Germany. We're going to be performing every other day. We're going to be doing the tourist stuff in Paris, Venice and London but in the smaller countries, we're going to be in villages with the locals. I'm slightly mad at myself for learning Spanish instead of French, Italian or German but I WILL be studying the languages this year. I am a quiet girl and very aware of how Americans are viewed in other countries but I usually wear jeans and brightly colored t-shirts. In the summer, I would go in (not short) shorts. My questions are: How can I avoid looking like an American? Please don't tell me "Be yourself" because there are plenty of people who are more than happy for "be themselves" and look how they're viewed in Europe! ~What should I pack to wear? We're supposed to wear special jackets (purple) and other clothes to stay together on activities. ~What kinds of shoes can you recommend? (Stylish/European but comfortable) ~What kind of bag should I bring? (Backpack would be effective but it would look sorta touristy, don't you think?) ~Would a large "bag" bag work? (not quite a purse...maybe a tote bag almost?) ~Any other tips? Anyway, I just sounded like the most insecure person on the planet back there lol. I just don't want to come off as another American in Europe :) ...besides wearing a shirt that says "Hi, I'm Canadian!" Anyway, when you answer, could you maybe put which country you live in right now? Thanks so much everyone! More questions... Would colored converse shoes be ok? And if so, which color? I am leaving early July and coming back late July Also, I am not overly loud and only wear makeup on very special occasions. If I do, it's only a bit of mascara and foundation. And I'm petite if that means anything.
Other - Europe - 8 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Rule 1: Do not wear sneakers or baseball caps
2 :
Don't wanna stick out? Then dress classy. Americans tend to dress a lot more casually (like in bright cotton tee shirts and converse) than Europeans. Europeans dress classier, think nice pants, casual dresses, heels/boots and sophisticated shirts. Think to yourself: is this classy? If the answers yes (word to the wise- sweatshirts and sweatpants are SO american!!) then you're good. A nice big bag that you can carry all your stuff (maps, camera, umbrella, etc.) would be good. No Hot Topic or PacSun though. Think leather or just a simple patterned/solid colored bag. Even one of those cheap 5 dollar totes will do. As for shoes, sandals will be ideal. If you want sneakers, think slim, basic and stylish. Keds work fine. Just look polished. And of course, treat the people you meet and the places you go with respect! Don't worry, you'll be fine =)
3 :
Dress however you like. Once they hear you speak, the masquerade will be over, anyway.
4 :
do not, repeat DO NOT, try to imitate the accent of your location. I made this mistake and they thought that I was mocking them. Just be yourself and it is still pretty cool to stand out in a crowd. Just promise me that you wont walk around in a turquoise polyester suit. My friend did that trying to blend in, and that was a HUGE mistake.
5 :
If you travel with the group you will stand out as one of the group and as such as a tourist. And most European will recognize a group of Americans as such. When you travel alone you can try to blend in, but as young person, between 15 and 25 you can wear jeans, T-shirt and any kind of shoes, as fashion is not that much different between the continents. Only older people seem to select real different colours. Only wear shorts when the locals do, as Europeans do not wear them as often as Americans, they save them for when it is really hot. For practical details on this trip, wear shoes you are comfortable in, that you can walk on all day, every day. And bring at least two pairs of footwear, the second pair can be light sandals or flip flops, but your main shoes need to be sturdy. (I travel on flip flops myself, but I do not have to keep up with a group when I do that.) Most European young people will use backpacks, all different kinds, as well as messenger bags and so on. But for a day in town a backpack is most comfy. Do not bring a brand new one, but rather one that is well worn, if you have one. In short, bring the bag you would also use at home. And the most useful tip, look at others, see if you can pick out the Americans and do not copy their behavior. By the way, wearing a T-shirt saying you are Canadian will not help much, most Canadians are considered as bad as most USA Americans.
6 :
In most European countries, people only wear shorts when they are at the beach. You don't find locals walking around Paris, Rome, Berlin, Zurich, etc in shorts. If I see a person in shorts in a city, there's a 99% chance they are an American tourist. When it's hot, girls wear skirts or sundresses, or linen trousers For stylish, comfortble shoes, you don't have to wear sneakers. Get a pair of ballet flats or loafers - they look nice, can work with pants or skirts, and are comfortable and easy to wear on cobblestone streets. Aerosoles has comfy shoes specifically for walking
7 :
Hey , just be respectfull .thats all ~What kinds of shoes can you recommend? (Stylish/European but comfortable)----Since you are 16,converse and vans are great ~What kind of bag should I bring? (Backpack would be effective but it would look sorta touristy, don't you think?) ---yes ,it will, just bring a trolley bag ~Would a large "bag" bag work? (not quite a purse...maybe a tote bag almost?) ---yeah ,would be okay. http://media.photobucket.com/image/big%20stylish%20bag/rougeberries/SB2017B.jpg
8 :
Don't worry about your shoes or clothes. Wear what you like, I'm sure it's okay. :) Well, you could avoid "oh my god" and "oh my gosh" etc. :D It's a good thing you're not very talkative because that's usually how you recognize an American - they talk way too much and too loudly. And obviously everyone knows American accent. But don't be ashamed of yourself or your country, you sound like a clever girl. Have a nice trip! :) PS. I'm from Finland.